12.12.2008

Christmas in the City








I had the great opportunity to spend a few days in New York City with my friend Terri this week. I have always wanted to see the Christmas Tree in Rockefeller Plaza and it was simply magical.

Our hotel was in Times Square and our room looked out over the famous landmark. On my first day there I went to Bryant Park, Rockefeller Plaza, Fifth Avenue, Columbus Circle and Central Park. I walked the whole way so I was plenty warm on the cold winter day. I stopped for lunch at a restaurant at the base of the tree where I could watch the ice skaters.

I did make a mental note as I walked down Fifth Avenue that I spent more time in the Disney Store than at Tiffany and Company...a true sign that my life has changed since having a kid!

That night we went to dinner at Tao thanks to a recommendation and it was the place to be. For someone who spends most of my time in sweatpants these days it was fun to get dressed up and have a girls night out in the city at a great restaurant. After dinner we walked to Rockefeller Plaza to see the Christmas Tree. It is a 72 ft Norway Spruce. Words can't adequately express the astonishing beauty of the tree. It's probably hard to tell from the small pictures but it was incredible.

On the second day I visited my former boss who now works at Juilliard. It was neat to see the school and learn about it's rich history and contribution to the arts. We ended our time together with cupcakes from the famous Magnolia Bakery. After that, I took the subway the Metropolitan Museum of Art to see the famed Angel Tree. It was beautiful. It had eighteenth-century Neapolitan crèche figures reenacting the Nativity at the base of the tree and angels overlooking all the way up the to the top. That night we made our way to Soho and Greenwich Village where we had another great meal and did some people watching.

The next morning we made our way back to Rockefeller Plaza to watch the Today Show. I have watched the Today show off and on over the past 15 years. It was a bit rainy which worked out well because there weren't many people there. I got to see the production up close and I was on the show three different times. Al Roker did one of his weather spots right in front of me! I met all of the anchors and everyone was really friendly. I was surprised at how short they all are...none over 5'8." The best picture I got was with Al so I posted that one. Actor Keanu Reeves was on the show that day and he spent about an hour walking around talking to the crowd, taking pictures and signing autographs. He seemed much more friendly than I would have thought him to be. He was also short and way too skinny. It was a really fun morning for me! Thank goodness Eric Tivo'd it so I could see my Today show "debut!"

You may be wondering how I managed to be away from EJ for three days. It wasn't easy but I knew him and Eric would be having a great time. I appreciate Eric balancing Daddy duty and work so I could take this very fun trip!

No comments: