7.22.2009

Time Out

I recognize that my blog is very partial to the "greatness" of EJ. While it's true that he is a great kid, today, he challenged that a bit. After getting up from his nap, he found it very hard acclimate back into our world. He refused to eat his lunch and when I finally let him down from his chair, he refused to wash his hands, which we always do. I gave him a warning and he still did not comply so I had to put him in time out.

Supernanny says they should stay in time out one minute for every year of life. So, he was in time out sitting on the couch for just under two minutes. I did exactly what supernanny tells the parents to do after the allotted time has passed. I got on his level (on my knee at the couch) and told him that he disobeyed mommy by not eating lunch and washing his hands. I asked him to tell me he was sorry so we could wash up and get to the pool to which he blinked his eyes shut and turned his head away from me with defiance. I tried to suppress my shock while informing him that he would stay in time out. He didn't seem to care. This went on three times! Even though I was beside myself, I tried to keep it together. The fourth time I approached him, I said that if he couldn't say he was sorry with words, he could hug me as an apology. After all, I was ready to get to the pool for heaven sake! I leaned in toward him and he reached for a hug, thus ending eight minutes in time out.

As I reflected on the situation, I recognized my own willful personality in my son. Discipline is a huge part of parenting and I was clearly tested today. I hope I "passed" and that Supernanny doesn't have to make an actual visit to my house in the future!

1 comment:

Grandma Bobbie said...

Suppernanny will not have to visit your house. You are a wonderful mommy!!! Much better than I was and look how you turned out.